Monday, September 15, 2008



Things I’ve learned as a parent:

Love that is strong enough to weather…

all manner of bodily fluids (not your own) and sometimes wearing them
no sleep
tantrums
“I hate yous”
rebellion
rejection
heartbreak that will make those of your single years pale in comparison
embarrassment
helplessness

Listening with all your heart to…

crying children with hurt feelings
tattling that sometimes seems to never end
“I wants” that go on forever
arguments that no one ever wins
“watch mes”
the same knock, knock jokes for the tenth time and still laugh like you mean it
unrequited love stories and the tears that go with them
unlikely dreams with all of the support you can muster
mother's intuition which will sometimes tell you things you don't want to hear

Hoping for…

courage to stand for what’s right even if it means your ‘old fashioned’
the ability to say ‘no’ when saying ‘yes’ would be so much easier
wisdom to let them do it when you could do it faster and better yourself
insight to be able to glean the truth when you’re convinced you’re not hearing it
forgiveness of those that hurt your children
safe returns
righteous choices
patience as you wait for repentance for the unrighteous ones
faith that things will be ok
answered prayers

The rewards are…

Joy beyond description
Pride that borders on sinful
Love that multiplies to overflowing
Laughter that is pure music
New appreciation for our own parents
Deeper understanding of our Heavenly Father and His plan

I’ve been so blessed.
I love my life.

6 comments:

Kristin said...

Debbie,
Thank you for reading and commenting on our blog! I have fond memories of Amy calling you for help (sometimes to help me with MY cooking projects)and you answering the phone: "Betty Crocker hotline..." :)
Thank you for this post. Oh, if I could have your wisdom! Don't be surprised if I call you for advice when I have children and don't know what to do!
Love, Kris

Jill Park said...

That first pic is adorable! Boy do they grow up fast don't they! I'm learning that now!

Amy said...

Some of those bodily fluids were mine. Sorry about your bedspread...

Jen said...

awe mommy, i'm sorry for my fluids too :( Love you.

Debbie said...

lol.. it's ok girls, I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. What's a little fluid? We all cleaned up ok.

Julie said...

So, so, so true. My grandma Strong used to say that if you took all your problems and laid them out, you would pick your own right back up! Oh the worries and hopes of being a mother...kind of scary! I love my life too. You're an inspiration of love, humor and spirit!