Friday, March 6, 2009

Wisdom extracted...

First step, first word, first tooth, first date, first car... life is filled with firsts. Most of which are highly anticipated and exciting. I have found as I've moved to the empty nesting years life is also full of lasts.
Last time you will do things in your role as parents of your children. Sometimes those are a little sad, but sometimes they are highly anticipated and exciting as well. No more diapers was a pretty big deal. I remember when my youngest child was finally potty trained and big enough to use the real potty rather than the little chair that sat in the bathroom floor. I was so excited to get rid of that tiny plastic toilet from my small bathroom. I ran from the house with potty in hand and my neighbors happened to be walking down the street as I let out my 'Woohoo!' and slam dunked it into the garbage can. Fortunately, they were good friends and parents themselves so they could appreciate my exuberance.

Last time you had to help with a science project or stay up all night drilling your kids for the spelling bee.

Last time you had to attend the required cub scout pack meeting and do the goofy 'round of applause' things. (No offense to scouting intended.)

Last dance/piano recitals that you endured the weeks (that felt like YEARS) of practice for. If I hear that song one more time I'm gonna lose my MIND!

So busy, so hectic, and so many memories... I'm eternally grateful for all of them but also thankful for the peaceful place I'm at now.

Today brought one more of the lasts for me... my fourth and last child to have her wisdom teeth removed. I've put on my nurses hat to get her through the next few painful, swollen days and am happy to do so. Poor thing may be in for a rough time, but she'll come out the other side with her beautiful smile in tact and be able to cross one of the 'firsts' and 'lasts' from her list.

Getting ready...

Ahhhh... off to wonderland...


Oweeeeee!

Jamba Juice was invented for times like these...


I guess with each phase of life comes new firsts though. This year embarking on becoming grandparents for the first time is something we are REALLY looking forward to. I guess there will be more diapers, recitals, science projects and spelling bees in our future after all. But somehow, not being the parent makes them a lot more fun.

No comments: